Saturday, July 5, 2014

Turkle vs Wesch

After reading Sherry Turkle's article, "The Flight from Conversation," and watching Wesch's TED talk it is my opinion that they have opposing points of view. I happen to agree with both of them. It is an all too often occurrence see people sitting at a restaurant on their cell phones, texting. It makes me sad when I see families sitting together and there is no conversation, just texting going on. I have been at family gatherings where some of the younger family members are present and they never engage any conversation, they spend the entire time on their devices pretty much oblivious to those around them.
When I was growing up family gatherings were such special times for me. I loved to listen to the stories the adults told and then when I was old enough, taking part in the conversations and debates with my aunts and uncles. I feel that this was an important part of my development. Those experiences and conversations helped to shape the person who I am today. I know that my own children also experienced this growing up and they have fond memories of family gatherings as well.
I agree with Turkle when she states that we "have sacrificed conversation for connection." It is  healthy to experience the "messiness" of relationships. The successes and failures of conversing with an actual person.
On the other hand, I am always inspired by Wesch. As an educator I know that it is my responsibility to teach my students in a different environment from the one that I was taught. Wesch talks about how technology opens the lines of communication and there is such power in that. The example of the "Free Hugs" video going viral was amazing. Also the effect the Rainforest ad had on the makers of Dove products is significant. I can see how the proper use of media can empower students. I would like to be a part of this experience.
In my opinion the point of view of both authors is equally important.

No comments:

Post a Comment