Sunday, September 29, 2013

The term Zero Tolerance was invented during the Reagan administration inferring that there was a Zero Tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol for schools. The Clinton administration then included a Zero Tolerance policy for guns and weapon as well. Although well meaning, there has been a clear lack of common sense with both interpreting and enforcing these policies. All too frequently, police have arrested students for things in school that they would not outside of school. In addition to this, the policies have become too subjective, now including other behaviors that years ago would have been settled in the principal's office.

Evidence that has been collected over the past twenty years confirms the following:
- Only 3% of suspensions or expulsions were for the possession of drugs, alcohol or firearms.
-The vast majority of students who are suspended or expelled are black and special education students.
-Police officers are involved in school disciplinary issues that should be the responsibilities of the administrators.
-Students that have been suspended or expelled are three times as likely to become involved in the juvenile court system.

Thankfully, communities are fighting back. School districts are implementing a strategy called Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS). PBIS encourages and rewards positive behavior. It has replaced many of the punitive Zero Tolerance policies.

My school has been training in PBIS. This is the third year that we have incorporated this strategy into many aspects of our school climate. It is working; attendance is up, suspensions are down as well as many other behaviors like fighting and vandalism.

When I read this article, I thought about a boy that I had in class about 15 years ago. His mother was in and out of jail and he went back and forth between living with his father and his grandmother. He was 15 years old in the 8th grade. He was always in trouble. Nearly every day, he was late for school and so he would get detention. He wouldn't stay for detention and then get suspended. As a result, he was failing 8th grade for the second time. I asked him one day why he was always late. He told me that if he wanted to stay with his father, he had to give his father money each week for room and board. He had gotten a job working after school until 11:00 each night. Then he would walk home, getting home even later. He had a hard time waking up every morning, so he was chronically late. My classroom has a back door. I told him to come to the back door in the morning and I would let him in and he could make up work in homeroom. If he stayed after school each day, he could do his homework with me. He agreed. He stopped coming in late which led to no detentions or suspensions. He caught up on his work and passed all of his classes.

If schools implicated every Zero Tolerance policy, it is likely this boy would have ended up in jail. This boy, came to school every day despite many things being stacked against him. I haven't seen him in a few years, but the last time I saw him, he was married with two kids working a job in construction.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, that's a really amazing story. You really made a huge difference in that boy's life, talk about social justice in the classroom! The crazy thing is that today you would probably get into huge trouble for even opening the back door of your classroom. Often policies get in the way of addressing real issues felt by real living breathing humans. My school is just getting started with PBIS and I've implemented a points/reward system in my classroom this year, hoping to promote positive behavior and also differentiate instruction through extra credit opportunities. We''ll have to see how it goes. How have you implemented PBIS in your class or on your team?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did for that boy 15 years ago, Mary, and I'm sure that you do that kind of stuff all the time but in small ways. Good for you for standing up for the students who need it most! I would imagine that that student will never forget you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you and I read the same article that basically sent me off of the deep end because it had opened old wounds that I have basically buried in deep my psyche. Oddly enough, I would be curious to know what my HS attendance record looks like. I like your student was frequently late to school because of the way the bus schedule worked. I would either have to be an hour early or literally a few minutes late. However, those few minutes meant a detention ... lead to suspension (sound familiar?). Anyway, my solution was to skip first period and begin the school day during second period. Fortunately, there was a rotating schedule and eventually I had teachers that allowed me to come into class late as well so I never failed a class because of it, but I am pretty sure that I was absent for the majority of my high school years. I would like to here more about this PBIS system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, your story is such a good one, and it speaks to how much you care about your students. I think when plans and policies are created and we are told that we must adhere to them sometimes the people in power forget that we deal with kids and that they are not cookie cutter. Education is not a one size fits all, and I think that should be taken into account when making policies, procedures, and rules for our students

    ReplyDelete